1. Diversity of faith, culture and traditions.
2. You can wear flowers in your hair for no reason.
3. Sarees, beautiful and elegant silk sarees.
4. Hundreds of colourful and thought-provoking festivals.
5. Temples which bring tranquility into your life.
6. That thick layer of cream on top of the milk you get straight from a local cow.
8. The smell of incense which wanders around homes, shops and temples.
9. The soothing sound of the honking traffic in the distance, when you are indoors (if you’re in the middle of it- not so nice)
10. Chai from chaiwalas, so sweet and thick.
11. Alphonso mangoes, a taste of heaven!
12. Wild peacocks dancing.
13. Big, fat, juicy lychee from North East India.
14. Feeling gorgeous and grounded whilst wearing a bindi.
15. Watching baby monkeys from your bedroom window!
16. Watching aunties ride side-saddle on two-wheelers with their splendid sarees dancing in the wind.
17. Fireworks, a day rarely passes without seeing a firework.
18. Paneer, soft and delicous.
19. Gulab jamun (or what I like to called them, gulamb jabons).
20. The charming sound of glass bangles chiming.
21. Little girls with perfect braids waving from school buses.
22. Warm monsoon rains.
23. Looking up and seeing flocks of green parrots fly by.
24. Feeling the sound of dhol(drums) vibrating through you.
25. Majestic wild tigers.
26. Coconut water!
27. The smell of fresh mehendi.
28. Lotus flowers everywhere; art, temples, sarees and even in the waters!
29. Hugging holy cows.
30. The loudest thunder imaginable.
31. Curious street cats.
32. Pani puri!!
33. Pooja/Puja (prayers)…
34. …especially Durga Puja!!
35. Hot climate! Rarely any grey drizzle!
36. Villages during Diwali, the animals painted pink!(?)
37. Holi, the festival where people are painted pink!!
38. So much to discover, around you and within in!
40. Autorickshaws- who needs rollercoasters?
41. You can visit places mentioned in Hindu mythology (for example, Ramtek).
42. India is unique, there is no other country in the world like it!
43. Tumeric beauty treatments which make you look a little Simpsony for a while.
44. Silver anklets with bells on.
45. Grandma’s coconut barfi.
46. Eating with my hands and it being completely socially acceptable.
47. Standing for the national anthem in the movie theatre.
48. Fearless, gorgeous and adorable children!
49. Endless possibilities.
50. Most importantly, I can wake up every morning and see my husband by my side.
What are some of the little things you love about India or the country you live?